Re: Informations/Problems about Asus P7131 Hybrid

On Tue, 2007-08-07 at 23:40 +0200, hermann pitton wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Hermann,

> Am Dienstag, den 07.08.2007, 09:03 +0200 schrieb Soeren Sonnenburg:
> > On Mon, 2007-08-06 at 00:21 +0200, hermann pitton wrote:
> > > Hi Paolo,

> > > latest available for download, as far as I know.
> >
> > how does one find out which firmware revision one is using? I am asking
> > as I have severe stability issues (the card works for a couple of hours
> > then at some point cold freezes the system). Note that with the other
> > budget card this setup works fine (uptime months...).
>
> see your dmesg. The tda1004x reports revision 20. Try to get 29.
> At least I'm not aware of other such reports yet. Especially not for
> DVB-T usage.

strange, I could not convince tda1004x to load the lifeview firmware
(obtained via the get_dvb_firmware script
Documentation/dvb/get_dvb_firmware ) although placed
in /lib/firmware/dvb-fe-tda10046.fw .

Looking at tda10046_fwupload() in
linux/drivers/media/dvb/frontends/tda1004x.c I found a couple of

if (tda1004x_check_upload_ok(state) == 0)
 return 0;

checks, which occur before firmware load (and were always triggered).
That is why I got stuck at firmware 20. It now correctly says:

tda1004x: found firmware revision 29 -- ok

> Seeing such, make also sure you have never used overlay/preview mode
> before for analog TV like xawtv might do. There are chipsets, like on
> older VIA stuff, don't know about current, not playing well with it.
> Some said also local apic disabled helped. ("nolapic")
> Also in combination with ATI and NVIDIA binary drivers you might always
> use -remote -nodga to have it in grabdisplay/capture/mmap mode.
> Just to have it mentioned.

There is no X running on this machine not even a binary driver... It
however has a full-featured card through which the dvb-t output is
passed through.

> > > No need to upgrade, since you have already updated to recent v4l-dvb
> > > code. You might try the attached patch, which sets the other atenna
> > > input during digital usage and check if DVB-T reception
> > > is /unchanged/better/worse.
> >
> > It could very well be a bad reception -> firmware crash -> card amok
> > problem... anyway I intended to use this card in dvb-t only mode and I
> > am on 2.6.22.1 and used the options saa7134 card=112 tuner=54
> > gpio_tracking=1 i2c_scan=1 as suggested in the wiki...
>
> If I understand Paolo right, "more stable reception" means better
> reception, less ber and unc with the same signal, but nothing in
> direction of freezes. He is using firmware revision 29 like many others.
> Missing channels can also be caused by errors in the initial scan file.
> To scan with all set to AUTO, except bandwidth, usually works best with
> the tda10046a to get a working channels.conf.

So my case could really be caused by the old firmware... I am starting
vdr again... lets see how long it survives this time.

> You should not need any saa7134 options, but you might try with saa7134
> driver latency=32 or 64, maybe also in the BIOS I guess, since you have
> 16MHz PCI speed currently.

Latency is already 64, but I don't understand why I should have only
16Mhz PCI speed?

> There was at least a report, that this made a difference for two saa7134
> LifeView Trio cards on some Dell motherboard.

to sad that this won't help here either.

> > does this card work reliably for you (stable in a 24/7 vdr  setup?)

[very interesting survey on how linux support for this card evolved]

> Yes, this older revision of the card works stable for me, also tested on
> two different motherboards, not in a 24/7 setup, but I use it since it
> was ever supported, it was the first supported tda8275a hybrid under
> Linux available on the markets, and do at least 15 to 24 hours tests
> from time to time. (analog dual language separation is missing, rest
> works)
>
> Please try with the newer firmware, if you also have substantially worse
> reception than on your other devices, please try also the patch, we
> don't know if the LNA has connection to both antenna inputs, but it
> seems most people are fine with it now. Hmm, might buy some to compare.

Thank you very much for this very verbose explanations. I will report
results in a couple of days (if it has proven stable I will wait a bit
longer to be sure).

Best,
Soeren