Re: Help with writing a DVB driver

On 8/2/07, Thomas Gambier <gambier@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new in the mailing list and in the DVB project, so my questions can seem
> simples but I'll be glad if you can help...
>
> I'm in an internship and I have to write a driver for a chip containing the
> Philips TDA10046 chipset, the other parts of the chip are proprietary to the
> company.
>
> A previous trainee wrote the part about the frontend and the demux and I
> have to write the audio and video decoder part. I work with the linux DVB
> API v3 (since the chip is using a 2.6.15 kernel). I read a lot the code in
> the dvb-core directory and the code of the previous trainee and I think I've
> understand how it works (at least the basic principles). And now I want to
> start writing the video decoder part but I don't find any structure for the
> video decoder in the dvb-core I can reuse.
>
> I tried to search for the drivers for the full-featured DVB card but I
> didn't find a structure here neither (I have to admit that I didn't
> understand well how it works).
>
> So I'm seeking help in all kind of types (references that might be useful,
> some sites or some source code I should look...) about the writing of this
> part of the driver. But I want to stay in the DVB API and not going to v4l
> drivers or somethings... I just want to have the device
> /dev/dvb/adapter0/video0 work properly.
>
> And last question, will a software like mplayer be able to play dvb streams
> just with the dvb drivers or does it need the /dev/video and the v4l drivers
> ?

Hi to me it doesn't seem to be clear if you understood the difference
between v4l and dvb?
Video4linux is usually used for analogue TV
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_television)
dvb for digital transmitted TV.
So are you trying to write a driver for the analogue or the digital part?
There's nothing wrong to use the v4l API for analogue TV.

Markus

--
Markus Rechberger