Re: Help with writing a DVB driver

On 02/08/07, Markus Rechberger <mrechberger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi to me it doesn't seem to be clear if you understood the difference
between v4l and dvb?
Video4linux is usually used for analogue TV
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_television )
dvb for digital transmitted TV.
So are you trying to write a driver for the analogue or the digital part?
There's nothing wrong to use the v4l API for analogue TV.

 I'm trying to write a driver for the digital part, definitely. But I was wondering if the device /dev/dvb/adapter0/video0 would be able to deal with all the possibilities of a video decoder because in the DVB API, we can see (at the beginning of the Chapter 4):
"    Note that the DVB video device only controls decoding of the MPEG video stream,
not its presentation on the TV or computer screen. On PCs this is typically handled
by an associated video4linux device, e.g. /dev/video, which allows scaling and
defining output windows.    "

I'm not sure I'm clear enough...

--
Thomas Gambier