Re: DVB Networking Module

Hi,

On Sun, May 27, 2007, Christian Prähauser wrote:
> Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> > On Wed, May 16, 2007, Christian Praehauser wrote:
> >
> >> The branch is available at
> >> http://www.cosy.sbg.ac.at/~cpraehaus/hg.cgi/v4l-dvb.

What you did to include/linux/dvb/net.h is not allowed.
You must not break backwards compatibility of userspace
APIs. You can only add new ioctls or make backwards compatible
changes to existing ioctls, but not delete or change them.
Or add old cruft to Documentation/feature-removal-schedule.txt.

(Well, I have no practical experience with dvb-net, and the
API design is from Nokia, so maybe it's totally broken and
no one uses it. But unless you are absolutely sure that
there are no users you are not allowed to break it.)

Have you looked at the ioctls which ifconfig uses?
(man 2 ioctl_list)
E.g. would it be possible to use SIOCGIFCONF to
find the dvb-net interfaces?
Could one use ifconfig e.g. to set the MAC?

In general, I'm not convinced that it was a good idea
to put dvb-net in the kernel at all, because I think
usually MPE/ULE traffic would be encrypted (probably
with your ISP's proprietary scheme), so you'd have a daemon
in userspace which sets the section filters to receive
the data, decrypt it, and feed packets into the network
stack via a tun device. IMHO the overhead of doing it
in userspace would be minor. It also makes it easy to
use multiple PIDs which didn't work well with dvb-net
(one PID per dvb net device).

But again, I have no practical experience with dvb-net,
you're the dvb-net expert now ;-), so I trust you to
make the right decision.

HTH,
Johannes