Re: DVB Networking Module

Hello Johannes!

Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> On Wed, May 16, 2007, Christian Praehauser wrote:
>
>> The branch is available at
>> http://www.cosy.sbg.ac.at/~cpraehaus/hg.cgi/v4l-dvb.
>>

> This repository seems to be corrupted:
>
> $ hg clone http://www.cosy.sbg.ac.at/~cpraehaus/hg.cgi/v4l-dvb
> destination directory: v4l-dvb
> requesting all changes
> adding changesets
> adding manifests
> adding file changes
> abort: consistency error adding group!
> transaction abort!
> rollback completed

Sorry! Should work now.
>> Along with the new dvb-net module, a new version of the dvbnet (DVB network
>> interface manager)
>> is (required and) available at the repository
>> http://www.cosy.sbg.ac.at/~cpraehaus/hg.cgi/dvb-apps.
>> It uses a simple command language, example:
>> dvbnet addmpe pid 300
>>

> Some people probably use dvbnet in scripts, so if you change
> the commandline syntax in a non backwards compatbile way
> it's better to give your version a different name and leave
> the old one alone.

So we should keep the original dvbnet tool (with the old syntax) and
just adapt it to work with the
dvb-net module. OK, sounds reasonable to me.
Has anybody  a good name for the new version?
My suggestions: dvbnetcfg, dvbnetmgr, dvbnetctl

Another possibility would be that the new version (2.0.0) of dvbnet
supports the commandline options
of the old version in a backwards-compatible way.
Some examples of using version 2:
    dvbnet addmpe pid 360
    dvbnet listif
    dvbnet getif iid 0
    dvbnet delif iid 0
Commandline options are currently used e.g. for specifying the adapter
(-a) or
printing help information (-h).
>> I would like to discuss here (on the list)
>> - whether if it makes sense to this (from your point of view)
>> - what should be changed/added/removed
>> - any other comments
>> - if we should and how we can eventually integrate this into the main
>> v4l-dvb and dvb-apps branches
>>

> couldn't look at your code, but:
>
> I think it was a design mistake in the current dvb-core that a card
> driver has to add code if it wants to support dvb-net. As soon as a card driver
> registers a demux, dvb-core should add dvb-net automatically, as
> there is zero card-specific code involved.

Exactly!
As you say, the whole networking thing is not specific to any card. All
it needs is a demux.
However, I didn't want to touch every driver. That's why I added a
compatibility craft in dvb_net.h,
so that the dvb-net module can be loaded on-demand. The drawback is that
the (inline) code is
included by every card driver. I also decided to do this because I tried
to change as little in the
dvb-core module as possible.
For a possible transition phase, I'll probably move the on-demand
and just define stubs for the dvb_net_init/dvb_net_release functions
which do nothing.

> It is useful to have CONFIG_DVB_NET.

Yep. That's now included.

Thanks for your comments!