Re: Re: Re: menuconfig not working as expected?

Em Sáb, 2007-05-26 às 13:43 -0700, Trent Piepho escreveu:
> On Wed, 23 May 2007, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> > Hi Trent,
> > >
> > > For the moment, yes.
> >

> > > The v4l-dvb source tracks the latest kernel.  To make the C code work with
> > > older kernels too, we have all kinds of #if/#endif blocks and magic stuff in
> > > file called compat.h that takes care of the differences.
> > >
> > > In this case, the problem is that the Kconfig files are not backward
> > > compatible.  All the things we do to C code won't work for the Kconfig
> > > language.
> >
> > Hmm... Are you meaning handling language changes on Kconfig? Yes,
> > current procedures don't work fine.
>
> Language changes would be one example.  In this case it's not a language
> change, there is a new variable HAS_IOMEM that drivers depend on that
> doesn't exist in the old kernels.  So in this case I could hack
> make_kconfig to assume HAS_IOMEM is true if (it doesn't exist && kernel <
> 2.6.22)

In this case, hacking make_config seems to be the better.

> > > I'm not sure exactly how to handle this.  Maybe we could run the Kconfig files
> > > through cpp before using them, so we could use #if/#endif style macros to make
> > > them work on old kernels?  The same gentree.pl script that cleans the C code
> > > would work on the Kconfig files too.
> > This would work, although it seems a hack. As you mentioned, it would
> > make life harder also for make kernellinks. Maybe a better solution
> > would be writing a diff file to be applied at v4l/kconfig if kernel
> > version <2.6.20.
>
> How would you keep this patch up to date as the kconfig files change?

There aren't much changes on Kconfig files. Maintaining the patches
wouldn't be harder than maintaining the other compat stuff.

However, as this is just a matter of a newer var, It seems that we can
handle it on make_kconfig.
--
Cheers,
Mauro