Re: Re: menuconfig not working as expected?

On Wed, 23 May 2007, Martin Dauskardt wrote:
> > That should be everything.  What kernel are you building against?  What
> > does "grep IOMEM .config" return when run in your kernel source directory?
>
> root@AMD64:/usr/local/src/linux-2.6.20.1# grep IOMEM .config
>
> when I enter this, I get no result

That's what I figured would be the problem.

> > I suspect it's the Kconfig files themselves that aren't backward
> > compatible
> > with your kernel.
>
> does this mean v4l-dvb is no longer compatibel with the 2.6.20-kernel ?

For the moment, yes.

The v4l-dvb source tracks the latest kernel.  To make the C code work with
older kernels too, we have all kinds of #if/#endif blocks and magic stuff in
file called compat.h that takes care of the differences.

In this case, the problem is that the Kconfig files are not backward
compatible.  All the things we do to C code won't work for the Kconfig
language.

I'm not sure exactly how to handle this.  Maybe we could run the Kconfig files
through cpp before using them, so we could use #if/#endif style macros to make
them work on old kernels?  The same gentree.pl script that cleans the C code
would work on the Kconfig files too.  I'm not sure if the Kconfig files have
cpp clean syntax, and this could complicate the make kernellinks ability.
Note that having non-backward compatible kconfig files also complicates
kernellinks.

I think in this case, I could put a special case hack in make_kconfig that
detects kernel < 2.6.22 and does some stuff to make the combined Kconfig
backward compatible.  That won't help kernellinks though.