Re: DVB Networking Module

Hi,

On 5/16/07, Christian Praehauser <cpraehaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello!

I created a v4l-dvb development branch for factoring out the DVB networking
code
(currently contained in dvb_net.[c|h]) into a new kernel module, called
dvb-net.

Why?
 - Many people never need DVB networking
 - Try to define clear structures and interfaces,
   so that new encapsulation formats can be added more easily.
 - Re-implementation of the Unidirectional Lightweight Encapsulation (ULE)
Protocol
   ULE is an extensible encapsulation protocol. Extensions can now be
supplied as Linux
   modules, which are dynamically loaded when needed.

The branch is available at
http://www.cosy.sbg.ac.at/~cpraehaus/hg.cgi/v4l-dvb.
>From time to time I'm syncing with the main v4l-dvb repository at
http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb.

There's also a very incomplete document in
linux/Documentation/dvb/networking.txt which tries to
explain how to create, configure and remove DVB network interface and the
DVB networking support
in general.

Along with the new dvb-net module, a new version of the dvbnet (DVB network
interface manager)
is (required and) available at the repository
http://www.cosy.sbg.ac.at/~cpraehaus/hg.cgi/dvb-apps.
It uses a simple command language, example:
 dvbnet addmpe pid 300
The above command adds a DVB data stream using MPE on PID 300.
Unfortunately, the libdvbapi library is not updated yet.

I would like to discuss here (on the list)
 - whether if it makes sense to this (from your point of view)
 - what should be changed/added/removed
 - any other comments
 - if we should and how we can eventually integrate this into the main
v4l-dvb
   and dvb-apps branches

I would like to thank everybody in advance who has time to take a look at it
and/or try it out
and invite everybody to post comments and join the discussion.

I haven't looked at it yet but it seems to be a good idea, I'll have a
look at it next week :-)
(just commenting it since noone else commented it yet)

cheers,
Markus

Cheers,
Christian.

--
Christian Praehauser <cpraehaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
|| //\\//\\ || Multimedia Communications Group,
||//  \/  \\|| Department of Computer Sciences, University of Salzburg
http://www.cosy.sbg.ac.at/~cpraehaus/
http://www.network-research.org/
http://www.uni-salzburg.at/

Markus Rechberger