Re: Incorrect tuning parameters for Perth Western Australia

On Monday 14 May 2007 19:50, Jim Barber wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I hope this is the right mailing list to send to.

Yes I think so.

> It's a request to fix an incorrect setting in the configuration file
> supplied for the scan utility of the dvb-utils software, the the au-Perth
> region.

The way it seems to work is that nothing happens until someone in Perth
(that means YOU) posts a corrected configuration file to this list.
There have been a couple of similar posts for other places in the last
few days.

First step; download the current code from linuxtv.org and make sure that
the changes have not already been included.  It is only a couple of Meg.

I'm not brave enough to submit changes for other cities even bases on
data from an official web site.  Maybe we should?  There are other
Australian cities.

> I have a Hauppauge Nova-T tuner card and for ages I've been able to get
> all of the five TV stations except for Channel 7. I had looked all over
> the Internet and the settings reoprted on various wiki's, mailing lists,
> etc all agreed with the ones I was trying, but failing with.

I think that the problem is that channel 7 has changed one of its parameters
recently AND some hardware is capable of ignoring some of the now wrong
configuration while other hardware is stumped by the new mis-configuration.

> Finally I stumbled across the correct settings on the Digital
> Broadcasting Australia's website at the following link:
>
> 	http://www.dba.org.au/index.asp?sectionID=120
>
> The problem is that everywhere, the guard interval for channel 7 has been
> reported as being 1/8. This is incorrect. It is actually 1/16.
> It was enough to stop me from being able to tune to it, even when doing
> auto scans. I was just about to return the DVB-T capture card as faulty
> because of this setting reported incorrectly everywhere.
>
> I'm using Debian, and they have a dvb-utils package that is at version
> 1.1.1 that seems to be the latest version. In this package is a file
> called: /usr/share/doc/dvb-utils/examples/scan/dvb-t/au-Perth The current
> contents of this file are as follows:
>
> 	# Australia / Perth (Carmel/Bickley transmitters)
> 	# T freq bw fec_hi fec_lo mod transmission-mode guard-interval hierarchy
> 	# ABC
> 	T 226500000 7MHz 3/4 NONE QAM64 8k 1/16 NONE
> 	# Seven
> 	T 177500000 7MHz 2/3 NONE QAM64 8k 1/8 NONE
> 	# Nine
> 	T 191625000 7MHz 3/4 NONE QAM64 8k 1/16 NONE
> 	# Ten
> 	T 219500000 7MHz 3/4 NONE QAM64 8k 1/16 NONE
> 	# SBS
> 	T 536625000 7MHz 2/3 NONE QAM64 8k 1/8 NONE
>
> However the entry for "Seven" should be:
>
> 	T 177500000 7MHz 2/3 NONE QAM64 8k 1/16 NONE
>
> Is this the correct list to report this problem to so that the file is
> corrected in future versions of the utils?
>
> I hope this helps anyone else from Perth who has had the same problem as
> me and kept finding the same mis-information that I did.

It looks like you have already done all of the hard work.  Congratulations.

Most other people send the new/corrected file as an attachment, which I
assume is the easiest way for the recipient to handle it.

I suggest posting a reply with the file attached as a file (assuming
that the change has not already made it to linuxtv.org).  Don't be too
disheartened if you don't see an immediate response.  They seem to be
collected and acknowledged in bulk irregularly.

--
sig goes here...
Peter D.