Re: Re: [RFC/PATCHES] xc3028 hybrid tuner, em28xx/em2880-dvb, saa7134, cx88

Hi Markus,

On Thu, May 17, 2007, Markus Rechberger wrote:
> On 5/17/07, Michael Krufky <mkrufky@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >Don't get me wrong -- I am not suggesting that we duplicate this code
> >and leave it in that state forever.  What I am suggesting is that we go
> >about this change in small steps.
> >
> >The proposed changes are simply too large and span too many source files
> >to achieve a proper review by enough developers, especially in their
> >"spare time," not to mention all the regression testing that needs to be
> >done.
>
> In that case I'm willing to fork the linuxtv project if I did too much
> to review.
> I just spent too much time on it to throw it away without a serious
> discussion.
>
> The tuner refactoring code has around 600-700 lines of code I think,
> the rest are the additional drivers and other things.

After the recent flamewar there was the opportunity for you
to get the whole thing merged, if you had only pushed
it out in time. IMHO em28xx even could have made it into 2.6.22...

Life is full of compromises, some of them ugly.
Don't you think it would be better to scarifice those 700 lines
of code in order to get the thousands of lines of em28xx and xc3028
code merged _now_?

(And, BTW, you should not take this personal. The amount of
code written for the kernel, posted to lkml and then mercilessly
pulled to pieces, and finally thrown away is HUGE.)

While certainly not ideal, Mike's plan is at least a way
to make progress, even if there's a little detour involved.

Johannes