Re: [RFC/PATCHES] xc3028 hybrid tuner, em28xx/em2880-dvb, saa7134, cx88

On 5/14/07, Trent Piepho <xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 14 May 2007, Markus Rechberger wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I exported the patches of my v4l-dvb-experimental repository against
> the current v4l-dvb repository on linuxtv.org.
>
> The single patchfiles are available on mcentral.de
> http://mcentral.de/~mrec/patches/v4l-dvb/
[93 patches]

It's really hard for anyone to make sense of a patch bomb like this.
There's just too many changes, and none of the patches even have comments
longer than one line.

The organization of the patches is really hard to follow too.  For example,
patch 19 adds a NULL pointer check to tuner-core (why is this necessary?)

if the struct is initialized as NULL it won't be possible to access
the member of it without crashing the kernel.

and then also adds two register names names to the dvb zl10353 driver.
Those changes have nothing to do with each other.  It's patch 20 that
actually adds the code to zl10353 that uses the new registers, and it even
changes the names used in patch 19.

I see the order is a problem there, I've redone the whole tree 3 times
because of problems with some folks on the ML earlier since I wanted
to keep the extra changes as small as possible I merged some patches
finally.

As from my side I don't have the time to do a major rewrite or doing
some reordering again, please try to make the best out of what's
available now.

The patches include more than 9000 lines of codechanges through the
v4l and dvb framework, these changes have been done during the last 1
1/2 years of split development from the main v4l-dvb code, I know it's
alot but it's worth to get it done now. It's not only about adding
support for one new device only.

Markus