Re: wrong frontend assignment when 1 frontend missing on 2 adapter setup

Trent Piepho wrote:
So the frontend that didn't work because of missing lnbp21 support was the
DVB-S one?  And the the DVB-S adapter is adapter1, and the HVR-1300 is
adapter0?  Or is it different?  What I'm asking is, is adapter0 or adapter1
the device that needs lnbp21?  Keep in mind that which card ends up as
adapter0 or 1 is not necessarily the always going to be the same.

Ok, I booted again my old kernel, and found out that my initial post was a bit inaccurate regarding 2 facts: - Kaffeine actually detects the remaining frontend and lists a Conexant CX22702 DVB-T device, but it can't tune or can't scan, even if the scan dialog shows signal, SNR and lock, but it cant find anything.
- I am forcing the order of modprobing by
    pre-install cx88-dvb /sbin/modprobe budget
so actually adapter0 should be DVB-S and adapter1 should be DVB-T, but VDR also can't tune to any DVB-S (obvious) but also it can't tune to DVB-T channels. I really don't know if there is proof that in this case, where the frontend initialization fails on DVB-S which should be the first adapter, the order of adapters doesn't get swapped somehow and things get messed up in applications.

When booting the new 2.6.21 kernel wich has all the necessary modules for the DVB-S card (only difference is this LNBP21, everyhing works as expected on DVB side, in both VDR and kaffeine. Could they both be buggy then?

It's not clear to me that there really is a DVB problem.  It looks like
maybe adapter0 is the one that needs he missing driver, and so is
missing its fontend, and adapter1 is fine.

It seems so, yes, but, see above..

actually usable (like I said, kaffeine refused to show them as detected).

Which could be a kaffeine problem.  It might see that adapter0/frontend0
doesn't exist, and then assume it has found all adapters.

Actually kaffeine lists the one found under adapter1, so it didn't stop searching at adapter0 where there wasn't any. But it didn't help, as explained above, it#s still strange.

Well, I told you what's the only difference in my DVB setup (besides the 2 differnet, consecutive kernel versions, and you dvb devs know better waht difference there are between those 2 versions), just the LNBP21. I think that even if you don't have such a strange Nova S SE, you might simulate such kind of behavior on a dual DVB card system by moving out of the way some module needed by one of the frontends, while letting the other one initialize propery and see what's happening, if a "normal" DVB application an average user would want to use can at least use that one.

Regards,
Lucian