wrong frontend assignment when 1 frontend missing on 2 adapter setup

Hello folks,

Few weeks ago I've seen a problem in kaffeine, but did not have time at all to check further wat was going on.I have a HVR1300 and a Nova-S SE in this system, with stock modules from 2.6.20 (and now after fixing my issue, 2.6.21). But the problem is something that might occur anytime, unless a real fix is provided. I started to tell Michael Krufky last night on IRC about it, and he asked me to post to the ML, so I rebooted with my previous kernel and here it goes:

Kaffeine no longer detected my DVB adapters, even if at first glance the device files where created under /dev/dvb/adpater... Well, I didn't have time to check closer for few weeks, but recently I did see that one frontend device was missing, like:

blues dvb # ls -al /dev/dvb/*
/dev/dvb/adapter0:
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root     100 May  9  2007 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root      80 May  9  2007 ..
crw-rw---- 1 root video 212, 4 May  9  2007 demux0
crw-rw---- 1 root video 212, 5 May  9  2007 dvr0
crw-rw---- 1 root video 212, 7 May  9  2007 net0

/dev/dvb/adapter1:
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root      120 May  9  2007 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root       80 May  9  2007 ..
crw-rw---- 1 root video 212, 68 May  9  2007 demux0
crw-rw---- 1 root video 212, 69 May  9  2007 dvr0
crw-rw---- 1 root video 212, 67 May  9  2007 frontend0
crw-rw---- 1 root video 212, 71 May  9  2007 net0

After inspecting dmesg I noticed that LNBP21 which seems to be also needed by the Nova-S SE, was causing some little noise in dmesg http://www.muresan.de/v4l-dvb/kernel-2.6.20_missing_lnbp21_dmesg.txt well, it was actually missing, it might have gotten deselected during kernel configuration when upgrading from 2.6.18 to 2.6.20 (because I enabled customizing frontends, as I dislike seeing all those I don't even have hardware for, loading), and I simply didn't explicitly enabled LNBP21 in menuconfig under "Miscellaneous devices", because I did not know that it's needed... Anyway, the output in dmesg was suspect so I enabled the LNBP21 module when upgrading to 2.6.21 like 2 days ago, and now the 2 DVB cards work.

Nevertheless, I wanted to point out that it seems that the frontend which was found, namely the one from the HVR-1300 was hooked under the DVB-S adapter (maybe by udev?), and thus none of the 2 cards where actually usable (like I said, kaffeine refused to show them as detected). Even if I might have done a mistake by customizing frontends selection and failing to select all the needed one, I guess that the expected behavior would have been to still wire the detected frontend to the correct adapter, that way applications would have been able to detect and work with at least that one. I don't even suspect this to be a problem in some module for a specific card, it might be general, but you guys surely can guess better or even more, know where to look for the problem.

Regards,
Lucian