Re: Will this USB DVB-T stick work under Linux?

Hi Aapo, Timecop,

Thanks for your assistance.

Timecop: Thanks for your note on firmware. However, I can't find any
file with the extension '.spt' in my system or system32 directories.
My guess is that the firmware is embedded somewhere in the driver
file(s). Perhaps I am best off using usbsnoop as Aapo suggests.

Aapo: Thanks for your advice. It looks, however, like I have a fair
bit of learning to do about these devices and how drivers interact
with them. I'll give it a go and see where I get, however I think it
will take me a while!

Cheers,

Luc

On 4/17/07, Aapo Tahkola <aet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 11:51:05 +1000
"Luc Small" <luc.small@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Aapo,
>
> Thanks for your email.
>
> > I do not think this tuner [TUA6045] is supported yet. Infineon
> > offers datasheets though...
>
> Assuming for a moment that I were to write a driver for the TUA6045:
>
> 1. Is it at all likely that an existing driver could be adapted to
> work with this device? i.e. are other tuners by Infineon supported
> under Linux and, if so, how significantly do the tuners typically
> differ in terms of how drivers interact with them? It would, after
> all, be much easier to start with something (i.e. an existing driver)
> than to start from scratch.

Take a look at mt2060_set_params. I'm no expert on PPL tuners
but it would seem to be similar to TUA6045. I think most PPL tuners
share most of the design philosophy so it shouldn't be too hard. For
starters, you want to read the "chip id" register on TUA6045 to see if
you can get it working at all. Id start from scratch. You can also
compare different tuners datasheets and sources to get the idea.

"v4l# grep -ri infineon *" gives me nothing...

> 2. If I did succeed in writing such a driver, would I still face an
> issue with firmware? i.e. the stick seems to be loaded (under Windows
> XP) with C&E firmware rather than the Hanftek firmware that Linux
> loads onto it. Is there any way to get hold of this (C&E) firmware or
> to extract it from the Windows drivers?

You can use usbsnoop to capture usb traffic. usbreplay can be used to
send usb control messages and so. You might want to take a peek at how
windows driver interacts with that tuner. You need to figure out its
i2c address at least.

--
Aapo Tahkola