Re: Will this USB DVB-T stick work under Linux?

Hi Aapo,

Thanks for your email.

I do not think this tuner [TUA6045] is supported yet. Infineon offers datasheets
though...

Assuming for a moment that I were to write a driver for the TUA6045:

1. Is it at all likely that an existing driver could be adapted to
work with this device? i.e. are other tuners by Infineon supported
under Linux and, if so, how significantly do the tuners typically
differ in terms of how drivers interact with them? It would, after
all, be much easier to start with something (i.e. an existing driver)
than to start from scratch.

2. If I did succeed in writing such a driver, would I still face an
issue with firmware? i.e. the stick seems to be loaded (under Windows
XP) with C&E firmware rather than the Hanftek firmware that Linux
loads onto it. Is there any way to get hold of this (C&E) firmware or
to extract it from the Windows drivers?

Best wishes,

Luc

On 4/17/07, Aapo Tahkola <aet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 22:17:37 +1000
"Luc Small" <luc.small@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a slightly unusual USB DVB-T stick and I am trying to work out
> if it is supported by Linux.
>
> I purchased it from Oatley Electronics here in Australia. A picture
> and description can be viewed here:
>
> http://secure.oatleyelectronics.com//product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=348&osCsid=3a2a89b61e884d851844e1d820c768e2
>
> The device is enclosed in a metal casing with a typical 75ohm TV
> connector at one end, and the USB connector at the other. There are
> two holes in the case, allowing one red and one green LED to be
> visible when the device is operating (under Windows XP).
>
> I have prized off the metal casing to get a view of circuit board. It
> hosts, amongst other components, the following chips:
>
>  - Zarlink MT352CG (Demodulator)
>
>  - Infineon TUA6045 (Tuner)

I do not think this tuner is supported yet. Infineon offers datasheets
though...

--
Aapo Tahkola