Re: [BUG] flexcop lockdep

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007, Patrick Boettcher wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Apr 2007, Borgi2008 wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, den 04.04.2007, 23:29 +0300 schrieb Antti Seppälä:
> > >
> > > Actually, looking at the code I cannot figure out why there has to be a
> > > spinlock in the first place.
> > >
> > > The lock is only taken in the interrupt handler which already runs in
> > > atomic context so there is no use in making the handler protected by a
> > > spinlock. Am I missing something here?
> > >
> > > I think the spinlock is unnecessary and should be removed entirely.
>
> Even on SMP systems? ISRs are only atomic on one CPU.

I thought ISRs were normally atomic even on SMP systems.  When an interrupt
occurs, that interrupt is disabled until the ISR returns.  Except in fast
handlers (which flexcop is not) all interrupts aren't disabled, and so an
ISR can be interrupted by a _different_ ISR, and a different ISR could be
running at the same time on another CPU.  But an ISR doesn't have to worry
about two copies of itself running at the same time.

At least, that's how I think it works.

I don't see how a spin lock that is only used from the ISR could be useful,
assuming the ISR is only called via an interrupt.  There is no reason you
couldn't call the isr function from some system call handler, but that
would be an unusual thing to do.

Normally an ISR does need a spinlock, to access data shared by the
non-interrupt part of the driver.  I wonder if there is a bug in flexcop in
that nothing else uses irq_lock?