Re: Re: [RFC] multi std silicon tuners and analog tuners

Mauro,

Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Michael,
>
> Em Qui, 2007-04-05 às 16:31 -0400, Michael Krufky escreveu:
>> Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
>>> Also, for silicon tuners, we have a recent case, where tda897x deals
>>> with dvb, while tda8290 deals also with tda897x, but for v4l.
>> Please leave tda8290 / tda8275(a) alone for now.  Hartmut and I have some big
>> changes coming, and external changes made to those files will screw us up.
>>
>> FYI, tda8290 is predominantly a driver for the analog IF demod.
>
>> The tuning code itself can easily be factored into a unified tuning
>> sub-module, useable by both
>> subsystems.  I have plans to do this now, without any need for API
>> changes.
>>
>> Once we reach agreement on how we handle hybrid silicon, I will handle
>> the
>> conversion for the tda827x tuners.
>
> This doesn't make my argument invalid.

It appears that I may have been misunderstood.

Your argument is completely valid, I only ask that nobody touch tda8290.c or
tda827x.c until Hartmut and I are done with our upcoming changes.

> The fact is that the support for hybrid tuners is hard due the lack of a
> proper way to connect the same driver to both cores. This lead each
> developer to find his own way for handling tuners, resulting on
> duplicated stuff and two different drivers for the same device.

Agreed.

> Not having a standard way for this is not good. We need to have one way,
> used by all developers that works with hybrid devices.

Agreed.

> It should also have a locking schema avoiding the usage of both tuner
> modes at the same time. What happens if you call both a dvb and an
> analog app at the same time with the current code?

Agreed.

>> The tuning code itself can easily be factored into a unified tuning
>> sub-module, useable by both subsystems.  I have plans to do this now,
>> without any need for API changes.
>
> How would you do this without API changes? V4L tuners currently can't
> currently be a separate module, but should be part of tuner-core. So, to
> allow a tuner to register on tuner-core, some API changes are required.
> Otherwise, you cannot load a sub-module at tuner-core.

Again, I am being misunderstood....   The API changes are indeed needed.  I am
just working on reusing the code without duplication.  In order for us to Do The
Right Thing (tm) , we *do* need some api changes.

I'd rather not go into detail about my uncommitted changes.  Maybe it would be
best if you pretend I never said "I have plans to do this now, without any need
for API changes".  I was only talking about code unification.  We still need the
API changes to provide a single tuner interface, and locking abilities.

I repeat - the discussion that you and Manu are having is a very good
discussion, and I fully support the direction that this is taking.

> Also, tuner struct is different from dvb_frontends struct, although both
> have several stuff that can be common. If you pass a dvb_frontends
> struct to tuner-core, or otherwise, pass a struct tuner to dvb, there
> will be some missing parameters.
>
>> Once we reach agreement on how we handle hybrid silicon, I will handle
>> the
>> conversion for the tda827x tuners.
>
> This seems to be the proper way. Let's first close the API changes, then
> convert the drivers.

Yes.  For now, I am developing my tuner driver with the current methods.  It
will be very easy to convert to the new methods once we reach agreement.

> I intend to convert all tuner drivers to the newer API, to allow to
> modularize the tuners, including tuner-simple.

Good.  Hopefully I will be able to get my change into tda8290.c before we're
ready for the conversion.  I should be able to push in some patches in a week or
so...

--
Michael Krufky