Re: [RFC] multi std silicon tuners and analog tuners

Hi Manu,

Em Qui, 2007-04-05 às 00:16 +0400, Manu Abraham escreveu:
> so when subsystem A acquires control, a lock is acquired by the bridge
> (the bridge can be imagined as a fulcrum for switching between systems)
> This locking would be a FSM for handling different switches.
>
> now the bridge can acquire/release locks, needs some code additions to
> the bridge to have this, for old devices it doesn't matter at all.
>
> now when subsystem B request control, it makes a request to the control
> manager on the bridge, the control is passed all the way down from the
> frontend(DVB)/ tuner(V4L) so it still remains quite independent the
> tuner/frontend part from the bridge
>

> with regards to TUNER (V4L) the same can be achieved using set standard
> or similar.
> Will have additionally one more callback (a new one)

Currently, there two different tuner approaches for dealing with hybrid
tuners. One as part of DVB frontend and another on V4L tuner
implementation. This is bad, since it results on duplicating some code.

For example, if you look on non-silicon tuners, the core of dvb-pll do
the same programming as tuner-simple.

Also, for silicon tuners, we have a recent case, where tda897x deals
with dvb, while tda8290 deals also with tda897x, but for v4l.

The right direction for this is to have the same tuner code used by both
V4L and DVB.

DVB callback approach for dvb_frontends seems to be an interesting
approach. It doesn't cover, however, all needs for V4L. For example,
some devices have also FM radio support, where stereo carrier detect and
analog signal strengh are important measures. So, it is needed to add
newer callbacks and maybe some extra data field for this struct to be
used also by v4l.

One interesting target is to have a common tuner/frontend code that can
be used by radio, analog and digital tuners, in a way that it can be
attached to dvb_frontend and/or to tuner_core.

If just one module is handling both analog and digital tuning, it would
be easier to have locks protecting the concurrence troubles you've
pointed above.

--
Cheers,
Mauro