Re: Lifeview LR306 clone does not receive ch 7. SOLVED (partly)

Hi, all

Peter D. wrote:
On Monday 18 September 2006 15:03, Peter D. wrote:

On Sunday 17 September 2006 18:14, Lincoln Dale wrote:

How do you determine what the correct center frequency is?
Trial and error edits to
/etc/dvb/channels.conf-dvbt-australia?  Or do I just wait
until the driver evolves to the standard of the driver for
the Kworld with its cx8800?

Try and error or search for appropriate information.
I will change the locking algorithm some time. But this is a
difficult change and definitely not be there within few days.

 Well I'm bemused by this. I have had the same card in my
desktop box (with no other pci card in it) and I had perfect
service on all 5 channels (working off the same frequencies as
Peter D). But today I pulled it out of that machine and stuck
it in my mythbox (with a Visionplus branded Twinhan card
(dvb-bt8xx) and a Kworld DVB-T card (using cx88-dvb)) and I am
now

FYI, have 3 DVB-T cards here; a VisionPlus HDTV (Twinham
dvb-bt8xx w/ mt352 frontend), OEM rev of DViCO FusionHDTV DVB
Plus (cx88 w/ mt352 frontend) and a AVermedia AverTV DVB-T (cx88
w/ dst frontend).

i am also in Melbourne SE suburbs like Peter.  am running dvb
tip-of-tree as of 6 September.

I've failed with a tip more recent than that.

i have no problems tuning channel 7
(or any other channel) on all 3 DVB-T cards using frequencies as
per frequences on dba website (http://www.dba.org.au/)

Interesting.  My out-of-the-box configuration does not agree with
what is listed at http://www.dba.org.au/index.asp?sectionID=120 You might have been lucky in that your particular hardware and
drivers were smart enough to correct a mis-configuration.  Or maybe
you system is configured correctly and mine is not.  I will
experiment.

as far as i can tell, there is nothing wrong with the dvb tree or
drivers. i'd suggest you check your cabling & have a look at your
antenna.

I am using one external antenna.  I think that Philip is doing the
same.  Signal strength seems quite good here.  Kaffeine is
reporting signal strength of about 94% and snr or about 80%.

Changing the configuration for channel seven from "hierarchy: NONE" to "hierarchy: AUTO" and "Guard interval: 1/8" to "Guard interval: 1/16" allows me to get standard definition channel 7, but not HD or the guide. More experimentation is necessary.

No experiments necessary, see below.

I can only assume that;
A) the out-of-the-box configuration on Mandriva 2006 is wrong
B) the driver is smart enough to correct for mis-configuration
C) some interaction of the Kworld and MSI clobbers the auto-configuration capabilities of the MSI driver.

Perhaps something somewhere discovers that auto-configuration is already done (or does not need to be done) once and does not try a second time? I am just guessing here.
Aha! This is known, an improperly specified GI makes the channel
decoder unable to lock!
I mentioned this before: there can be wrong parameters in the
config files, i had this here in Hamburg too.
Some channel decoders resp. their drivers ignore them and this
is what you see: The files work with some decoders though they still
are broken.
Especially with recent firmware of the tda10046, i recommend to set
all pararameters except the bandwidth to AUTO. This avoids such
problems.

Best regards
  Hartmut