Re: Lifeview LR306 clone does not receive ch 7. SOLVED (partly)

On Monday 18 September 2006 15:03, Peter D. wrote:

> > >   Well I'm bemused by this. I have had the same card in my
> > > desktop box (with no other pci card in it) and I had perfect
> > > service on all 5 channels (working off the same frequencies as
> > > Peter D). But today I pulled it out of that machine and stuck
> > > it in my mythbox (with a Visionplus branded Twinhan card
> > > (dvb-bt8xx) and a Kworld DVB-T card (using cx88-dvb)) and I am
> > > now
> >
> > FYI, have 3 DVB-T cards here; a VisionPlus HDTV (Twinham
> > dvb-bt8xx w/ mt352 frontend), OEM rev of DViCO FusionHDTV DVB
> > Plus (cx88 w/ mt352 frontend) and a AVermedia AverTV DVB-T (cx88
> > w/ dst frontend).
> >
> > i am also in Melbourne SE suburbs like Peter.  am running dvb
> > tip-of-tree as of 6 September.
>
> I've failed with a tip more recent than that.
>
> > i have no problems tuning channel 7
> > (or any other channel) on all 3 DVB-T cards using frequencies as
> > per frequences on dba website (http://www.dba.org.au/)
>
> Interesting.  My out-of-the-box configuration does not agree with
> what is listed at http://www.dba.org.au/index.asp?sectionID=120
> You might have been lucky in that your particular hardware and
> drivers were smart enough to correct a mis-configuration.  Or maybe
> you system is configured correctly and mine is not.  I will
> experiment.
>
> > as far as i can tell, there is nothing wrong with the dvb tree or
> > drivers. i'd suggest you check your cabling & have a look at your
> > antenna.
>
> I am using one external antenna.  I think that Philip is doing the
> same.  Signal strength seems quite good here.  Kaffeine is
> reporting signal strength of about 94% and snr or about 80%.

Changing the configuration for channel seven from "hierarchy: NONE" to
"hierarchy: AUTO" and "Guard interval: 1/8" to "Guard interval: 1/16"
allows me to get standard definition channel 7, but not HD or the
guide.  More experimentation is necessary.

I can only assume that;
A) the out-of-the-box configuration on Mandriva 2006 is wrong
B) the driver is smart enough to correct for mis-configuration
C) some interaction of the Kworld and MSI clobbers the
auto-configuration capabilities of the MSI driver.

Perhaps something somewhere discovers that auto-configuration is
already done (or does not need to be done) once and does not try a
second time?  I am just guessing here.

--
Peter D.
Sig goes here...