Re: DVB card remote control geneates too many signals

For the benefit of others with a similar problem, who might stumble across this post, this is how I fixed it. I'm sure there are much better ways, but this worked for me.

The culprit was the bttv module. From kernel 2.6.16, this module has a new source file, "bttv-input.c" (it's in directory "drivers/media/video/", of the kernel source), which defines the infrared codes for various cards. To stop the codes being recognised, all I had to do was to pretend that my DVB card doesn't have an IR sensor. To do this I edited another source file, "bttv-cards.c", by changing ".has_remote = 1" to ".has_remote = 0". This assignment appears for each card with a remote and you need to find the one for your card. Mine was BTTV_BOARD_AVDVBT_771.

I then just executed the following commands as root:

cd /usr/src/linux
make modules
make modules_install

It should all work properly (i.e. all remote signals intercepted only by lircd) after the next re-boot (or just re-loading the bttv module should do it).

I'm sure there's a better way that doesn't involve editing source code (e.g. with an appropriate configuration option), but as I only update my kernel a couple of times a year, and the above only takes a couple of minutes, I'll live with this for now.

Alex

aabb wrote:

Thanks Craig, this sounds promising. Can you explain what you mean by "just used the correct dev/input driver for my card"? I tried setting the LIRCD_OPTS variable to "-d /dev/lirc/0" (in file /etc/conf.d/lircd) but this still didn't work.

btw, I now believe that the module responsible for detecting the additional signals is bttv (thanks to Peter Fern for pointing me in the right direction).

Alex

Now it seams that there are 2 separate modules that are responding to key presses on the remote, lircd and one other. If I stop lircd, the system still responds to the remote

I have seen this with my Dvico Dual Digital Card / remote as well.
Using 2.6.16, the four purple buttons work, but nothing else on it does.
I thought lirc was partialy working, but it turns out even if lirc is not
running the four buttons still work.
I eventually got lirc fully working.  Did not change anything else, just
used the correct "dev/input" drivers for my card.

Craig