Re: DiB3000MC rewritten and MT2060 is ready to go intomain

On 31 Jul, Sergei Haller wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jul 2006, Klaus Frahm (KF) wrote:

>> > This is because that filem include/linux/config.h, is no longer part of the
>> > kernel.
>> >
>> > The make_kconfig.pl script should just be changed to read autoconf.h, which
>> > is still there.
>

> Did that. otherwise compillation ok.
> (suse10.1, kernel 2.6.16.21-0.13-default)
>
> but I get some unknown symbols when loading:
>
> dvb_pll: module not supported by Novell, setting U taint flag.
> dvb_usb: module not supported by Novell, setting U taint flag.
> dvb_usb: Unknown symbol dvb_frontend_detach
> dvb_usb: disagrees about version of symbol dvb_unregister_frontend
> dvb_usb: Unknown symbol dvb_unregister_frontend
> dvb_usb: disagrees about version of symbol dvb_register_frontend
> dvb_usb: Unknown symbol dvb_register_frontend
> dibx000_common: module not supported by Novell, setting U taint flag.
> dib3000mc: module not supported by Novell, setting U taint flag.
> mt2060: module not supported by Novell, setting U taint flag.
> dvb_usb_dibusb_common: module not supported by Novell, setting U taint flag.
> dvb_usb_dibusb_common: Unknown symbol dvb_usb_nec_rc_key_to_event
> dvb_usb_dibusb_common: Unknown symbol dvb_usb_generic_rw
> dvb_usb_dibusb_common: Unknown symbol dvb_usb_generic_write
> dvb_usb_dibusb_mc: module not supported by Novell, setting U taint flag.
> dvb_usb_dibusb_mc: Unknown symbol dibusb_pid_filter_ctrl
> dvb_usb_dibusb_mc: Unknown symbol dibusb_i2c_algo
> dvb_usb_dibusb_mc: Unknown symbol dibusb2_0_streaming_ctrl
> dvb_usb_dibusb_mc: Unknown symbol dibusb_dib3000mc_tuner_attach
> dvb_usb_dibusb_mc: Unknown symbol dibusb_dib3000mc_frontend_attach
> dvb_usb_dibusb_mc: Unknown symbol dibusb_rc_keys
> dvb_usb_dibusb_mc: Unknown symbol dibusb2_0_power_ctrl
> dvb_usb_dibusb_mc: Unknown symbol dibusb_pid_filter
> dvb_usb_dibusb_mc: Unknown symbol dibusb_rc_query
> dvb_usb_dibusb_mc: Unknown symbol dvb_usb_device_init
> dvb_usb_dibusb_mc: Unknown symbol dvb_usb_device_exit

The message "module not supported by Novell, setting U taint flag" is
okay since this is the Novell-Suse kernel and I believe if you want to
keep the official support you are not supposed to load modules compiled
outside this kernel.

As far as the unknown symbols are concerned, I am note sure but I
believe you have mixed up modules from the Novell-Suse kernel with some
modules of the new driver. This may happen if you copy only part of the
newly compiled modules in /lib/modules/<kernel_version>/.... because
there also some old versions of dvb_usb and other modules. Normally if
you install the v4l_dvb modules by "make install" (after "make") this
should install everything and it should be okay. However even with this
you must not forget to unload first the old dvb modules (by rmmod in
case you already plugged in your dvb-device before installation and test
of the modified driver). If you do not unload the modules properly,
there may still be some old modules in memory and create the unknown
symbols message when attempting to load some of the new modules.

In general, I would recommend that you compile and install the latest
2.6.17.x kernel in addition to the official Suse-kernel, provided that
you don't care about the Novell-Support and the Armor-blaba thing which
is not available in the vanilla kernels (I believe this is special for
Novell). You can also try 2.6.18-rc3 which seems also okay to me.
However, the issue of not mixing up the modules is the same here.

One may also speculate that 2.6.16.21 has a special problem with v4l_dvb
as such but I think this would be strange since 2.6.17 and 2.6.18-rc3 is
okay with me.

Greetings, Klaus.