Re: DiB3000MC rewritten and MT2060 is ready to go into main

On 30 Jul, Klaus Frahm wrote:
> On 29 Jul, Patrick Boettcher wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Finally I was able to prepare everything related to the MT2060 to be
>> committed to the main v4l-dvb repo.
>>
>> By doing that, I also took the chance to rewrite DiB3000MC/P driver and
>> now it is in sync with DiBcoms internal 3000MC/P drivers (+ easier to
>> maintain for me, latest greatest features). For me this was the first step
>> before adding DiB7000-demodulator drivers because it will be based on the
>> same mechanism: For the architecture independent parts I just use a small
>> perl script to translate DiBcom's code to linux-dvb kernel code. I hope
>> the result is, even though some small overhead is inside, acceptable.
>> If someone totally disagrees, please do that now, before I spend more time
>> on the DiB7000-driver(s) .
>>
>> I verified the new 3000mc-driver with all devices I have and it works.
>> However, it might be possible that I broke something. Can everyone with a
>> 3000P/MC-based device please test my repository
>> (http://linuxtv.org/hg/~pb/v4l-dvb). Next week I will ask Mauro to pull
>> from it to the main tree and it would be great to have some test reports
>> before.
>
> I have just tested (with my my AverTV A800) and up to now it works fine,
> I will continue to test and eventually also try with kernel version
> 2.6.17 and 2.6.16.13-4 from Suse 10.1 (but not immediatly).

I have now also tested with 2.6.17 which is okay (despite some
BROKEN-BLABLA messages during compilation). 2.6.16-13-4 from Suse 10.1
is in principal also okay and in both cases it works as with 2.6.18-rc3.

However with Suse 10.1 there is some annoying build problem, after make
on gets:

make -C /home/frahm/DVB/TEST/v4l-dvb-suse/v4l
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/frahm/DVB/TEST/v4l-dvb-suse/v4l'
No version yet.
scripts/make_makefile.pl /lib/modules/2.6.16.13-4-smp/build
Creating Makefile.media.
File not found: /lib/modules/2.6.16.13-4-smp/build/include/linux/config.h at ./scripts/make_kconfig.pl line 27.
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `.config', needed by `.myconfig'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/frahm/DVB/TEST/v4l-dvb-suse/v4l'
make: *** [all] Error 2

i.e. he looks for the file
/lib/modules/2.6.16.13-4-smp/build/include/linux/config.h
which is absent in the case of Suse 10.1 because the symbolic link
/lib/modules/2.6.16.13-4-smp/build/ does not point to the standard source tree
but to a different tree with the some files for a configured source tree
(such as .config and other files). The standard source tree is given by
another link /lib/modules/2.6.16.13-4-smp/source.
In the present case the build problem can easily be solved by copying
the file config.h from

/lib/modules/2.6.16.13-4-smp/source/include/linux/config.h

to:

/lib/modules/2.6.16.13-4-smp/build/include/linux/config.h

and afterwards building is okay.
I suppose when one compiles the kernel by one-self using the
kernel-sources of Suse the problem should not arise because after module
installation the links for build and source should be the same. As usual
this a problem caused by very specific kernel-source-packages from
certain distributions (I remember that Redhat also had this bad habit
causing sometimes strange problems when installing third party modules.)
Compiling and installing a kernel from kernel.org does of course not
have this problem.

Maybe the perl-script "v4l/scripts/make_makefile.pl" can be modified to
take this into account ? This is certainly not important for me but I
have seen in the mailing list quite a number of people complaining about
problems with Suse 10.1.
I remember that the v4l-dvb tree which I took two month ago (around 10
june) did not have this build problem on Suse 10.1.

Greetings, Klaus.