Re: DiB3000MC rewritten and MT2060 is ready to go into main

Hi,

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006, matthieu castet wrote:
> Patrick Boettcher wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Finally I was able to prepare everything related to the MT2060 to be
> > committed to the main v4l-dvb repo.
> >
> > By doing that, I also took the chance to rewrite DiB3000MC/P driver and now
> > it is in sync with DiBcoms internal 3000MC/P drivers (+ easier to maintain
> > for me, latest greatest features). For me this was the first step before
> > adding DiB7000-demodulator drivers because it will be based on the same
> > mechanism: For the architecture independent parts I just use a small perl
> > script to translate DiBcom's code to linux-dvb kernel code. I hope the
> > result is, even though some small overhead is inside, acceptable. If someone
> > totally disagrees, please do that now, before I spend more time on the
> > DiB7000-driver(s) .
>
> Can't we keep the register names and values as define ?
> I believe it make the code more understandable instead of magic values in
> magic register.

The register names (used as defines) in the previous driver were magic as
well. At the time of writing the first driver I haven't had access to the
data sheet. The 2 years the previous driver was OpenSource no one ever
wanted to change some internals of the driver. I think this situation
will not improve when you use register names instead of register addresses
and bit shifting.

regards,
Patrick.

--