Re: DVB-H support

Hi all,

> > I would like if there is any intention of supporting the DVB-H
> > technology in linux.
> > As I understand the most popular (and apparently unique) DVB-H receiver
> > uses the dibcom chip. Any comments on this?

> IMHO you must differ between the features of DVB-H.
>
> If you need the powersaving between the timeslices, dibcom is currently the
> only one which can do this. But as you can see at www.dibcom.com sells
> different chips, the 7700, the 7000P/H, the 3000... And as far as i know, the
> 7000H, which can do the powerdown and also the hardware-support for
> timeslices currently not sold on usb-sticks, only in mobile phones.
>
> For the 4k-mode, i think also the other dibcom chips can do this. But i don't
> know any active broadcast, which use 4k-mode. And also the other demodulator
> manufactors will support this in the future or already.
>
> The other things like the MPE-FEC can also be done in the software,
> so this is
> independet of the hardware. Furthermore, all broadcasts which are currently
> running are also configured in a way that plain dvb-t devices could be used
> for receiving.
>
> Thomas

Thomas, I think a lot of DVB-H silicon manufacturers would take exception
to your comment that only Dibcom's solutions provide powersaving via the
timeslicing mechanism - this is one of the fundamentals of DVB-H ;-)

To address Manu's question though, and the answer really depends what is
the goal. The Linux DVB drivers currently don't support specific DVB-H
silicon, so if you're trying to get a specific bit of hardware going, then
you may be out of luck, However, if you simply want to play around with some
DVB-H transport streams, then in many cases you can get away with using DVB-T
hardware and the existing Linux DVB drivers. As long as your DVB-H transmission
is only using options which maintain backwards compatibility with DVB-T (and
most do), then you should be able to use the Linux DVB drivers to get at the
SI and IP (MPE)data.

Chances are that without a lot of work you won't be able to do anything with
the FLUTE/ESG data, but if you can somehow find out the PID and SDP data of the
A/V streams, then you can use dvb-net to route these to the IP stack for
playback via e.g. mplayer etc.

Best wishes.

Stuart

--
Dr Stuart Butterfield
Product Manager Mobile TV, Philips Software

Cross Oak Lane, Redhill, UK, RH1 5HA
Mobile: +44 7887 832886
E-mail: stuart.butterfield@xxxxxxxxxxx