Re: linuxtv dvb api with STAPI?

Hi,
On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 10:19:22AM +0200, Martin Zwickel wrote:
> > I suppose this concerns the STB0899 and friends?
> > Since there will be open alternatives I guess everybody would
> > use those instead of such a "binary blob and wrapper thingy" anyway.
>
> I think there is no choice to avoid the stapi thingy, and I haven't
> seen any opensource alternative.

is the STB0899 spec released to public so one could code an open-source
driver?

I know the original ST driver for it, and if the choice is to write a
wrapper just to use this or code something new from scratch, I would
do the latter...
(While I think the chip implementation is quite brain-dead with the
"double indirect addressing", the driver implementation is not much
better with the huge overhead introduced by all the register caching
and lookup stuff.)

> Well, thanks anyway. Gonna do the hard path... :(
>
> Regards,
> Martin

Regards,
Wolfgang