Re: [BUG]: unitialized buf sent over i2c

Trent Piepho wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jul 2006, Michael Krufky wrote:
>> 0x20 for analog, 0x50 for digital.
>
> Ahh, so there is code in the dvb version of the tuner driver that changes
> the AGC take-over point to a different value?  I wonder if this should be
> done to the other ATSC/NTSC tuners with TAU603x chips, of which there are
> many.

Name one other?  (maybe there are more... i dunno)  ...  FYI, The
information used here to program the LG H06xF series was obtained from
the LG H06xF datasheets, and NOT the TUA6034 datasheet.  Furthermore,
the TUA6034 datasheet has been known to be inaccurate.  There is
conflicting information between the TUA6034 spec and the LG H06xF spec,
when it comes to the pll programming -- we programmed the LG H06xF
tuners based on the LG H06xF spec.

One should NOT assume that the TUA6034 within the LG H06xF NIM is
handled in the same exact manner as within other devices.

> The code in the V4L tuner driver does not do what it needs to, as it is
> only called when the tuner is first detected.  After loading or using the
> dvb device (depending on when the dvb code sets the AB) the AB will be left
> at 0x50.  The V4L tuner will not change it back when the device is opened
> or the channel is changed.

Hmm... Looks like you're right.  We always set 0x50 during digital
tuning in lg_h06xf_pll_set, but it looks like 0x20 is only set during
tuner_set_type. Meanwhile both analog and digital modes are functioning
properly.  I wouldn't really want to change this without first hearing
from Mac Michaels.

> The real problem is that there are two different tuner drivers, both
> controlling the same tuner, and they don't know anything about each other.
> A real solution would have to address this fundamental design flaw of V4L +
> DVB: two drivers for the same hardware stepping on each other's toes.

This is a fundamental flaw that has been spoken about many times before.

I am not going to comment on it.

Just wait a bit and see what things look like after the upcoming
refactoring.

> Still, a stop-gap fix can be made now.  The tuner needs to program the AB
> either:
> 1) When the V4L device is opened
> 2) Every time the tuner is programmed

For now, if it's not broken, don't fix it.  Let's see what Mac says, first.

> 1 would be more efficient, but won't handle the case of using both the
> V4L and DVB devices at the same time.  This is possible, but doesn't
> actually work so well, or make much sense.  So I don't see that as much
> of a problem.  2 might well be easier to impliment.

Each time the pll is tuned to a digital channel, 0x50 is sent. I thought
that 0x20 was always sent when tuning analog channels, but now I see
that it isnt.

Mac, can you comment on any of this?

Regards,

Mike