Re: Re: [mythtv-users] compro dvbt-300 no luck with no lock

Hi,

dvb@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Thanks for the reply Aaron,

On Tuesday 04 July 2006 00:23, you wrote:

Hi Lew,

I have that card and also had some trouble with it, to start with.

It would not pick up any dvb, though it could get some analogue
stations.

Then I tried manual tuning, i.e. entering all of the data for a given
station, and it
did lock on to a signal and pick up some stations. I see you didn't
have luck doing
that, as you say below.

Later I bought an indoor antenna with signal amplifier and after many
hours
of positioning the antenna I managed to get a good signal and presto,
the card
would pick up all the channels (even better than the roof mounted
outdoor antenna,
which works okay for my stb but didn't work at all for the card)
and I can now simply scan for channels and it picks them up.

So both tuners working perfectly with a stronger signal?

I think the issue may be that the dvb-t300 does not work well with
weak signals.
Signal strength of 58% _should_ get something though.
When you say "creating relevant transports for AU" do you mean
entering QAM,
bandwidth, FEC and so forth... I had to enter all of this _exactly_
as it was required

That's correct, all the relevant settings that have been proven correct on a twinhan card.

in order to get a lock (that is until I got my indoor antenna setup,
then everything
went smoothly).
--Aaron

I've heard this before about other dvb-t cards; the twinhan card I had previously on the same external aerial would get picture down as low as 16% signal strength, mostly unwatchable of course.... I might try it in a winodze box to compare before I spill out the cash for a signal amplifier. They cost almost as much as a new card! Mind you tight arses like myself often neglect to stop & think about how much the time costs stuffing around trying to make the unworkable work... for the sake of a few bucks...

2 Comments:
- 58% signal strength definitely is enough. Especially for dvb-t, the strength is
  not important but the signal quality is - which is a different thing. An
  amplifier can easily make things worse.
- It is not a proof for the config file that it works with another card. As i
  mentioned in another mail, some drivers simply ignore the parameters.

Hartmut