Re: [mythtv-users] compro dvbt-300 no luck with no lock

Thanks for the reply Aaron,

On Tuesday 04 July 2006 00:23, you wrote:
> Hi Lew,
>
> I have that card and also had some trouble with it, to start with.
>
> It would not pick up any dvb, though it could get some analogue
> stations.
>
> Then I tried manual tuning, i.e. entering all of the data for a given
> station, and it
> did lock on to a signal and pick up some stations. I see you didn't
> have luck doing
> that, as you say below.
>
> Later I bought an indoor antenna with signal amplifier and after many
> hours
> of positioning the antenna I managed to get a good signal and presto,
> the card
> would pick up all the channels (even better than the roof mounted
> outdoor antenna,
> which works okay for my stb but didn't work at all for the card)
> and I can now simply scan for channels and it picks them up.

So both tuners working perfectly with a stronger signal?
> I think the issue may be that the dvb-t300 does not work well with
> weak signals.
> Signal strength of 58% _should_ get something though.
> When you say "creating relevant transports for AU" do you mean
> entering QAM,
> bandwidth, FEC and so forth... I had to enter all of this _exactly_
> as it was required

That's correct, all the relevant settings that have been proven correct on a
twinhan card.
> in order to get a lock (that is until I got my indoor antenna setup,
> then everything
> went smoothly).
> --Aaron

I've heard this before about other dvb-t cards; the twinhan card I had
previously on the same external aerial would get picture down as low as 16%
signal strength, mostly unwatchable of course....
I might try it in a winodze box to compare before I spill out the cash for a
signal amplifier.  They cost almost as much as a new card!
Mind you tight arses like myself often neglect to stop & think about how much
the time costs stuffing around trying to make the unworkable work... for the
sake of a few bucks...

Cheers,

Lew