No /dev/dvb/ with DViCO Fusion HDTV DVB-T Plus, Gentoo 2.6.16-r9

Apologies if this list is not the correct place for troubleshooting.  If it is not, please let me know and I'll redirect my queries elsewhere.

I'm having a lot of trouble getting my DViCo Fusion DVB-T Plus loaded properly.  It appears to be the 1.1 revision (the chip ends with a -39 rather than a -19, which I believe is the indicator).  The card is detected; lspci gives correct information about the card, and /dev/v4l/video0 and vbi0 exist.  The problem is that /dev/dvb/ is not getting created.

While I'm not a linux newbie, I am very green when it comes to manually configuring hardware drivers and the like.  I've tried to follow Chris Pascoe's instructions here ( http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~chrisp/Linux-DVB/DVICO/ ), but to be honest I'm a bit overwhelmed.

Here's the relevant excerpt of my kernel .config:

#
# I2C support
#
CONFIG_I2C=y
# CONFIG_I2C_CHARDEV is not set

#
# I2C Algorithms
#
CONFIG_I2C_ALGOBIT=y
# CONFIG_I2C_ALGOPCF is not set
# CONFIG_I2C_ALGOPCA is not set

#
# Multimedia Capabilities Port drivers
#

#
# Multimedia devices
#
CONFIG_VIDEO_DEV=y

#
# Video For Linux
#

#
# Video Adapters
#
# CONFIG_VIDEO_ADV_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_VIDEO_BT848=y
# CONFIG_VIDEO_BT848_DVB is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_SAA6588 is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_CPIA is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_SAA5246A is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_SAA5249 is not set
# CONFIG_TUNER_3036 is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_STRADIS is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_ZORAN is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_SAA7134 is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_MXB is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_DPC is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_HEXIUM_ORION is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_HEXIUM_GEMINI is not set
CONFIG_VIDEO_CX88=y
# CONFIG_VIDEO_CX88_ALSA is not set
CONFIG_VIDEO_CX88_DVB=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_CX88_DVB_ALL_FRONTENDS=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_CX88_VP3054=y
# CONFIG_VIDEO_EM28XX is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_OVCAMCHIP is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_AUDIO_DECODER is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_DECODER is not set

#
# Digital Video Broadcasting Devices
#
CONFIG_DVB=y
CONFIG_DVB_CORE=y

#
# Supported BT878 Adapters
#
CONFIG_DVB_BT8XX=y

#
# Supported DVB Frontends
#

#
# Customise DVB Frontends
#

#
# DVB-T (terrestrial) frontends
#
# CONFIG_DVB_SP8870 is not set
CONFIG_DVB_SP887X=y
CONFIG_DVB_CX22700=y
CONFIG_DVB_CX22702=y
# CONFIG_DVB_L64781 is not set
# CONFIG_DVB_TDA1004X is not set
CONFIG_DVB_NXT6000=y
CONFIG_DVB_MT352=y
# CONFIG_DVB_DIB3000MB is not set
# CONFIG_DVB_DIB3000MC is not set

I've left out a few bits in these sections that were irrelevant or entirely not set.  I'm not really sure what I need to be loading here, so I've probably left out something important, and I've almost certainly compiled in options that I don't need.

After building my kernel, I extracted this tar ( http://linuxtv.org/hg/~pascoe/v4l-dvb?ca=cec41e698b97;type=bz2 ) from Pascoe's site and, as advised, followed the instructions on this page ( http://www.linuxtv.org/repo/#build ).  The make section seems to work correctly, but I get several errors during the make install section.  The last one is:

install: cannot stat 'dvb-firesat.ko' : No such file or directory
make: [dvb-install] Error 1 (ignored)
/sbin/depmod -a 2.6.16-gentoo-r9

When I reboot, the card is still not detected.  I've tried to run this installer and then recompile the kernel, with no joy.

What I would really like is a concise set of instructions for the procedures required to get the new revision of this card to work under 2.6.16.  The instruction on Chris Pascoe's site seem to assume that the user has more knowledge with this kind of thing than I do.  On top of that, it seems that many of the instructions are apparently no longer required, but I'm not entirely sure which ones.

If anyone has any pointers or tips (or, ideally, a full-blown walkthrough :P), please let me know.  I'm happy to provide more information (lspci/dmesg output, etc) if required.

Regards,
Samuel Cook
scook@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx