Re: DIB7000

Hi Christine,

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006, Christine Slotty wrote:
> Then I found out that the same name meant a former model - now this new model
> seems to be based on the DIB7000 IC (according to what the Windows driver
> says and conforming with this mailing list article:
> http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2006-May/010407.html).
> [..]
> So does anyone have any idea or need help!?
>
> So far I have asked Hauppauge for a Linux driver and they say they won't have
> one and they also won't supply the firmware.

This is a pity. Why is it up to (advanced) users to write - most of the
time - sophisticated linux drivers for the devices. I'm fed up with this
attitude - even worse that now Hauppauge also takes part in that.

In my very personal opinion as a hobby linux-developper, I would recommend
you to give back the device, just because of this answer from Hauppauge.
Otherwise the vendors will never see how many (paying) linux users are out
there. Afaik, this is the main argument for companies not to support
OpenSource/Linux ("[...] Linux only has a market share of 0.05% [...]").

Maybe it is better to buy from a Taiwanese manufacturer - they at least do
not simply say "No" when asking for linux-drivers, but try to support you.

> Anyone!?

However, I promised to discuss with DiBcom to release the component
drivers for 7000 and 700 (USB) so that it is possible to write support
devices based on that (which is the case for this Hauppauge device and
others very soon).

Result: it is only a question of time now, to get the software ready to be
released, although I cannot give you any exact date. The drivers are more
or less ready, I will announce it here, when something is there for
testing.

best regards,
Patrick.

--