Re: Errors compiling from hg snapshot

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006, hermann pitton wrote:
> As I hope to understand now, running "make allmodconfig" only once,
> editing .myconfig and setting v4l1 and v4l-compat from := n to := y
> and "make" would have enabled it this way too.

I think that would have worked.  You could also edit v4l/.config and add
CONFIG_VIDEO_V4L1_COMPAT=y, then re-run scripts/make_noconfig.pl to
generate .myconfig from .config.  IMHO, the makefile should do this
automatically if .config is changed.

> Only in case make_noconfig.pl didn't find something valid for it
> in .config, v4l1 stayed disabled. This was fixed changing these two
> options in the internal media Kconfig from boolean to bool.

The problem was with make_kconfig.pl.  This is the script that goes though
all the Kconfig files and makes the combined file v4l/Kconfig, _and_
produces the v4l/.config file.

make_kconfig.pl didn't recognize 'boolean' (still doesn't!) and so didn't
put CONFIG_VIDEO_V4L1_COMPAT into the v4l/.config file.  No variable in
v4l/.config then make_noconfig.pl doesn't turn it on in .myconfig either.