Re: Errors compiling from hg snapshot

On 5/31/06, Trent Piepho <xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 31 May 2006, hermann pitton wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 31.05.2006, 10:51 +0100 schrieb Gavin Hamill:
> > I don't have any radio cards - can I just disable this part of the
> > compile completely? If so, what do I need to comment out in the
> > Makefiles? :)
> >
> you can't fix such in the Makefiles anymore.
>
> Every call of "make" regenerates them and overwrites your fixes with the
> current Kconfig/kbuild attempt.

Isn't it just a matter of using make xconfig or make gconfig or make
menuconfig to select the drivers to build, and then not selecting
micro PCM 20?  Or just edit v4l/.myconfig by and and set the MIRO
variables to 'n'?

That would solve it for one user.  Solving this problem once and for
all is a bit more complicated.

The problem is that the build system inside the mercurial repository
is not honoring kconfig "depends on" clauses.  The micopcm20 radio
driver should automatically be disabled in these cases where OSS has
been stripped from the kernel.

config RADIO_MIROPCM20
	tristate "miroSOUND PCM20 radio"
	depends on ISA && VIDEO_V4L1 && SOUND_ACI_MIXER

config SOUND_ACI_MIXER
       tristate "ACI mixer (miroSOUND PCM1-pro/PCM12/PCM20)"
       depends on SOUND_OSS

As you can see, RADIO_MIROPCM20 indirectly depends on SOUND_OSS, which
has been stripped from recent fedora kernels.  Given that OSS is
stripped from the kernel, we know that SOUND_OSS is not defined, and,
in turn, SOUND_ACI_MIXER is also undefined.  An option that depends on
an undefined symbol should be disabled (set := n)

This needs to be fixed somehow in that convoluted build script, but I
have neither the time nor energy to attempt to figure out how.  I have
added cc to Mauro -- he wrote this build script, maybe he can fix
this, or at least comment on it.

We know "depends on" functionality is broken... I wonder if "selects"
is broken too?

I hope this explanation helps somebody to construct a fix to be merged
into the repository. (hint, hint)

Regards,

Mike