Re: HG repository does not compile

On Sat, May 20, 2006, Helmut Auer wrote:

> >I must be missing something in this discussion. The above code is a very
> >complicated way to say:
> >
> >hg clone http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb
> >
> >Why make your life so complicated?
> >
> First of all hg won't work behind some firewalls

If you clone/pull via http, then hg uses http only, i.e. if
downloading a tarball through the firewall works, then
clone/pull will also work.

> and as a big advantage I
> get a new trunk,
> without loosing the old one, so I can easily switch back ...

You can get that much cheaper (in terms of download time
and disk usage) by keeping one prisine clone of the
master repo and one local clone for each version you
want to keep (hg clone uses hardlinks where possible).

What I do:
$ hg clone http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb v4l-dvb-master  # once
$ cd v4l-dvb-master; hg pull -u  # regularly

I never do naything with the v4l-dvb-master clone: When I
want to build or modfy something I create a local clone first:

$ hg clone v4l-dvb-master v4l-dvb-dev
$ rm -rf v4l-dvb-dev # when I'm done with it

With current hg (0.9) you can also:
$ cd v4l-dvb-master
$ hg archive -t tbz2 ../v4l-dvb-%h.tar.bz2

Johannes