Re: idea on how to break the static dependencies on demodulator modules

On Sat, May 13, 2006, Oliver Endriss wrote:
> Trent Piepho wrote:
> >
> > First, let me say that chained frontends *isn't* something new that is
> > mixed in with this attach/detach stuff.  It's already there.  See the
> > lnbp21 driver for an example.
>
> Is chaining used anywhere else than in the lnbp21 driver?
>
> I introduced it because I thought that it would be a good idea to limit
> the number of private pointers in struct dvb_frontend. ;-)
>
> Obviously it makes life harder, not easier. So just remove chaining from
> lnbp21.[ch], and rename misc_priv to something like sec_priv...
>
> Imho it's not worth the trouble. ;-)

IMHO this "chaining" of the release function is a bad
concept. The card driver does the attach, so it should also
do the release.

Consider:
	foo = foo_attach();
	bar = bar_attach(foo);
	bar->release();
	// do we leak foo now is it magically cleaned up?

Please keep it simple and stupid, the four drivers which
use lnbp21 can also keep a lnbp21 pointer around and
release it explicitly.

Johannes