Re: idea on how to break the static dependencies on demodulator modules

Trent Piepho wrote:

> > > How can dvb_detach() work, satisfy your three requirements here, AND still
> > > work with chained front-ends?
> > >
> > > Without chained frontends, it's easy enough (*):
> > >
> > > int dvb_detach(struct dvb_frontend* fe)
> > > {
> > > 	void *addr = (void*)fe->ops->release;
> > > 	dvb_unregister_frontend(fe);
> > > 	symbol_put_addr(addr);
> > > }
> > >
> > > But this doesn't work at all with chained frontends.
> >
> > Looks like I didn't get something...
> >
> > What is a "chained frontend"? How is this handled currently
>
> First, let me say that chained frontends *isn't* something new that is
> mixed in with this attach/detach stuff.  It's already there.  See the
> lnbp21 driver for an example.

Is chaining used anywhere else than in the lnbp21 driver?

I introduced it because I thought that it would be a good idea to limit
the number of private pointers in struct dvb_frontend. ;-)

Obviously it makes life harder, not easier. So just remove chaining from
lnbp21.[ch], and rename misc_priv to something like sec_priv...

Imho it's not worth the trouble. ;-)

Oliver