Compiling on older kernels

Hey is anyone working on making sure this still supports older kernels?
I'm working with a hardware vendor who is making linux his area of
primary support.  We are having a lot of trouble compiling the current
Hg against anything other than 2.6.16.

I saw a Trent Piepho patch a while back that came by this list
concerning the renaming of semaphore to mutex at 2.6.16.  I haven't seen
it applied (I think he was reworking it possibly?)

There have been other issues as well.  Telling our customers to just
grab the latest kernel is not really an option here.  Anyone know where
a good starting point would be to try to maintain some backward kernel
compatability at least to 2.6.9 or so?  (Is there a stable release of
V4l-DVB somewhere that we could use as a base for our released driver?)
The mainline is changing so quickly it hard to keep up.

Thanks,

Rusty