Re: Compiling on older kernels

On Tue, 9 May 2006, Rusty Scott wrote:
> Hey is anyone working on making sure this still supports older kernels?
> I'm working with a hardware vendor who is making linux his area of
> primary support.  We are having a lot of trouble compiling the current
> Hg against anything other than 2.6.16.
>
> I saw a Trent Piepho patch a while back that came by this list
> concerning the renaming of semaphore to mutex at 2.6.16.  I haven't seen
> it applied (I think he was reworking it possibly?)

The original patch was applied, but the reworked one:
http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2006-April/009510.html

Wasn't commented apon.  It didn't add new compatability, just changed the way
existing compatability worked to do more in compat.h and less in the drivers.

The versions.txt file that controls the minimum kernel version needed to
compile a driver is very consertative.  Most of those drivers will compile
under 2.6.12 at least.

The make *config targets don't work properly on older kernels.  They don't
always work correctly on 2.6.16 either for that matter.  I posted a patch
that fixed this:
http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2006-April/009940.html
but no response to that either.