Re: User compile of Hg version broken

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Em Qua, 2006-04-26 ās 18:41 -0700, Trent Piepho escreveu:
> > On Wed, 26 Apr 2006, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> > > Huh??? NO! You don't need this!
> >
> > Since the makefile used to always rebuild *conf, you needed to do this.
> Makefile will build *conf only if not found:

I was only saying you used to need to do it, you've already fixed that
problem.

> > Tried that, still the same problem.  The top level kernel makefile exports all
> > sorts of variables that aren't getting defined by the v4l-dvb makefile.
> We don't need to fill all those vars. Only those required by scripts
> makefiles. Anyway, the V4L/DVB makefile calls kernel main Makefile, that
> may redefine some vars.

Maybe some of the vars that aren't getting set by v4l-dvb are neeeded?
The scripts makefile uses some like HOSTCFLAGS that aren't getting
set.  That variable isn't strictly needed, but the compilation does
change from what the kernel does becaues it is missing.

There must be some reason the *conf compile doesn't work from when
it's called from the v4l-dvb makefile and does work when it called
from the top level kernel makefile.  There must be something different
that is causing the problem.  One thing would be a missing variable.
Another thing is the target is different, the kernel uses xconfig as a
target while v4l-dvb only wants scripts/kconfig/qconf.

> [1] Btw, from security POV, your kernel tree shouldn't be owned by root,
> but by a normal trusted user, for it to compile the kernel. So, a good
> practice is to have it owned by a non-root user, that will compile it.
> Only to install, root is required. Most experienced Unix admins compile
> kernel as a normal user, and install it with something like:
> 	sudo make modules_install install

Part of the reason you can do that is because the kernel doesn't touch
anything outside the kernel as part of a normal make.  One needs to
use an explict command like 'make install' to do anything that needs
extra permissions or touches anything outside the kernel source tree.