Re: User compile of Hg version broken

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Em Qua, 2006-04-26 ās 14:31 -0700, Trent Piepho escreveu:
> > So now you download a second copy of the kernel source, install that,
> > and figure out how to get the Hg version to look at it instead of the
> > system source it finds automatically?
> Huh??? NO! You don't need this!

Since the makefile used to always rebuild *conf, you needed to do this.

> > Kernel 2.6.12.  Even if I'm root, it tries to compile without needing
> > to, and when it does, it doesn't work:
> >
> > [root@t2 v4l-dvb]# make xconfig
> > scripts/kconfig/mconf.c:1045: error: 'LC_ALL' undeclared (first use in this function)
> > scripts/kconfig/mconf.c:1045: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> > scripts/kconfig/mconf.c:1045: error: for each function it appears in.)
>
> LC_ALL is an environment var about your current language. All distros I
> know have this defined (also an entire bunch of LC_foo stuff), like:
>
> It seems to be something weird on your environment... Maybe kernel
> Makefile do some trick for this one. probably, if we do LC_ALL=C at the
> building line will make it work on 2.6.12.

Tried that, still the same problem.  The top level kernel makefile exports all
sorts of variables that aren't getting defined by the v4l-dvb makefile.
HOSTCC is a different value, HOSTCFLAGS and HOSTCXXFLAGS aren't set, and so
on.  Is interfacing into the middle of the kernel build system like this
supported?  It seems like the command you're using just doesn't work on
2.6.12.  Is there any reason to believe it will continue to work on 2.6.17 or
2.6.18 and so on?  Having the v4l-dvb makefile automatically build *conf
*when needed* could be convenient, but it looks like it's very hard to get it
to work correctly.