Re: Howto automatically load saa7134-dvb?

On Mon, Mar 20, 2006, Ole Reinartz wrote:
> I searched in the hg history on linuxtv.org. I guess the change you are
> refering to is the one introducing the use of this notification
> mechanism (register_module_depend() and related). Then I searched
> through the kernel versions to find out how this notification works and
> how it evolved. I didn't get to the version where this got introduced,
> but with all versions I saw the mechanism in saa7134-core.c can't ever
> have been working:
> The notifier call chain is only called once in sys_init_module() in
> kernel/module.c, and only with MODULE_STATE_COMING as the notfied state.
> However the function registered as notifier (pending_call() in
> saa7134-core.c) only acts when MODULE_STATE_LIVE is notified, which I
> found done nowhere in the kernel.
> So I ask myself (and the list, of course): has this ever worked? Was
> there once a notification mechanism that sent this notification?
>
> BTW I tried sending such a notification in sys_init_module() just before
> the return, after the modules lock got released. But this only produces
> a deadlock while startup.So now I'm stuck. Maybe I should ask in the
> kernel list?

MAINTAINERS says:

MODULE SUPPORT
P:      Rusty Russell
M:      rusty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
L:      linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
S:      Maintained

So it's best to sent mail to him plus lkml and
v4l-dvb-maintainer@xxxxxxxxxxx, best including a pointer
to the original discussion with Gerd Knorr.

Thanks,
Johannes