[linux-dvb] Newbie question

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, William Smith wrote:

> You'll get pretty much the same quality video with any card.
> It depends on the quality of the stream being sent.
> All the budget cards use a lot of CPU time.

Lets nuance this. They use almost no CPU power for recording, but the CPU
is used for decoding the MPEG. I am running MythTv with 2 budget cards,
and during recording of 2 streams at the same time, the processors (dual
P3 550, are almost idle. Pure overkill for the recording. For MPEG2
decoding you need about 900MHz CPU power. For H.264 decoding you need the
strongest CPU you can get.