[linux-dvb] Re: Dvico Fusion 5 HDTV lite question

On 1/9/06, Neil Camara <ronneil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Michael Krufky writes:
>
> > On 1/8/06, Neil Camara <ronneil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Hi Michael,
> >>
> >> I'm about to buy my second HDTV card but this time, it's going to be Dvico
> >> Fusion 5 HDTV lite. I read somewhere that this card is better for QAM. I
> >> currently have Air2PC in my mythtv.
> >>
> >> However, I've been having a hard time finding a HOWTO or article about
> >> making the Fusion Lite card work properly in my linux. Do you have steps
> >> that you can share to me please?
> >
> > Neil-
> >
> > We have a wiki-howto:
> >
> > http://linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/How_to_build_from_CVS
> >
> > This walks you through installation of v4l and dvb modules from cvs,
> > for all supported devices.
> >
> > Please take a look through the rest of the wiki if you are looking for
> > more information.  I dont mind answering questions, but the questions
> > that you are asking me are general questions, not specific to the
> > device in question, so you did not have to email me privately for
> > this.  True, I added support for this device, but you may have gotten
> > a quicker response from google, or the V4L mailing list (cc added -
> > hopefully this email will show up in a future user's google search)
> >
> > Feel free to ask me more questions, but please try the public resources first.
> >

> I noticed that FusionHDTV5 lite uses the BT878 chip. Is this chip bad since
> FusionHDTV5 Gold uses CX23882? Do both models perform the same in QAM? Do
> you have any preference between the two?
>
> About the kernel, I do remember the kernel configuration on the link you
> mentioned, am I correct that I still have to apply the cvs 4vl code since
> the code for Fusion BT878 is not yet included in the kernel that we download
> from www.kernel.org?
>
> Thanks for the help!

Neil-

If you are using the 2.6.15 kernel, from www.kernel.org, then you do
not have to install the new v4l-dvb modules from cvs... On any kernel
older than 2.6.15, you *do* need the modules from cvs.  Our CVS
repository is backwards compatable with older kernels, but you need
Kernel 2.6.10 or later in order to use a new driver for one of the DVB
cards... (2.6.12 or later is required for most of the hybrid boards,
but FusionHDTV5 Lite should also work with 2.6.10 or later)

About the differences between the FusionHDTV5 Lite vs FusionHDTV5
Gold, please google it.  I was involved in a long discussion about
this on the , and I do not wish to re-type it
all.

Google is your friend.

If you're lazy, here.. I'll throw you a bone:

They both work very well in linux... The LITE model is better
supported for analog purposes such as Closed Captions, etc .... But
cx2388x is a better design, although the linux driver is less
mature...

There I go typing away again... I draw the line here.  Google it, look
for "krufky linux-dvb fusionhdtv5 lite gold" ... The first hit is the
beginning of the discussion in the mail archives.

Hope this helps,

Michael Krufky