[linux-dvb] Terratec Cinergy Hybrid T USB XS: new Information

Hello Mike

Thanks for the quick response. See my answer/questions/thoughts below.

Mike Krufky wrote:
> Thomas Kaiser (linux-dvb) wrote:
>
>> Hello Developer
>>
>> I asked one or two weeks ago on this list if there is a plan to
>> support the above device. I never got an answer from the list :-(.
>>
>> So, I started to do some research.
>> I took the beast apart to see which chips are in use. I documented
>> everything so far on my homepage. Please, see
>> http://www.kaiser-linux.li/index.php/Linux_and_TV
>

> [chip info moved below]
>
>> I did some usbsnoops which can be found on my site, too.
>>
>> It looks like we have to find out how the USB-Brige (EM2880) is
>> working. I could not find a datasheet on the net for this device :-(
>>
>> I really like to see this device working under Linux :-)
>>
>> So, what are the next steps we have to do?
>> I am ready.
>>
>> Regards, Thomas
>>
> Thomas,
>
> Take a look in the v4l-dvb tree...  We already have a driver for em2800,
> em2820, and em2840 usb controllers... You may want to speak to mchehab,
> mrec, cavedron, or sasha, to find out if support can be added for
> em2880, or if it may already be supported by the em28xx driver...
>
> linux/drivers/media/video/em28xx
I will take a look.

> OTOH, em28xx does not yet have a dvb layer.... This can be added, but so
> far we havent encountered any devices that call for it, until now.
>
>> Following chips are used on the Terratec Cinergy Hybrid T USB XS:
>> # Tuner (receiver): XCEIVE XC3028
This chip has a 2-wire interface (I2C?). Form where are the commands
comming? From an other chip or from USB trought the USB-Bridge?

> ^^ this is a very popular tuner, but unfortunatly, is not supported in
> linux at this time, due to lack of proper specs required to create a
> driver... I'm sure some other developers have run into this in the past
> as well... Unfortunately, I dont have an answer for this tuner, although
> supporting it would open up the possibilities of supporting many more
> devices.
>
>> # Demodulator: ZARLINK ZL10353
>

> ^^ never heard of it.... Zarlink has some other demod's that ARE
> supported, however... Maybe a driver can be written for this... /me
> isn't sure.
Actually, it is a replacement for the MT352 and pin compatible.

>> # Videodecoder: 5150AM1
>

> ^^  might this be a TVP5150 ?  (supported in v4l)

I think so, but there was no "TVP" on the chip

>> # Sound (only for analog?): EMPIA EMP202
>

> ^^ not sure

We will see.

>> # USB Bridge: EMPIA EM2880
>> # Multiplexer (I don't know for what this is used): HC4052
>> # EEPROM?: 24C02N
>> #  ???: P13C3306LE
>

> ...well thats SOME information for you... although not quite the
> greatest news, but I hope this helps.
>
> Michael Krufky

Regards, Thomas

--