[linux-dvb] How to avoid automatic loading of driver modules?

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> I am currently trying to switch from the old DVB driver
> to the dvb-kernel driver. Since I want to have full control
> over which driver version gets loaded, I don't want the
> modules that come with the installed kernel (SUSE 10.0,
> kernel 2.6.13) to be automatically loaded when booting.
>
> Can somebody please give me a hint what would be the proper
> method to not have the dvb driver modules automatically
> loaded? I've looked into /etc/modprobe.conf, but couldn't
> find anything DVB related there.

First check if the modules are in /etc/modprobe.preload, since modules
in that file are loaded when booting.

If not, it must be a SuSE specific module autoloading. I'm not SuSE
user, so I don't know if there is any proper method for disabling that.

However, you can block modprobing certain modules by either:
a) removing the modules from /lib/modules/2.6.13/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/
or
b) adding following lines to modprobe.conf:
install modulename1 /bin/false
install modulename2 /bin/false
and so on.

--