[linux-dvb] How to avoid automatic loading of driver modules?

On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 07:21:00PM +0200, Anssi Hannula wrote:
> Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> > I am currently trying to switch from the old DVB driver
> > to the dvb-kernel driver. Since I want to have full control
> > over which driver version gets loaded, I don't want the
> > modules that come with the installed kernel (SUSE 10.0,
> > kernel 2.6.13) to be automatically loaded when booting.
> >
> > Can somebody please give me a hint what would be the proper
> > method to not have the dvb driver modules automatically
> > loaded? I've looked into /etc/modprobe.conf, but couldn't
> > find anything DVB related there.
>
> First check if the modules are in /etc/modprobe.preload, since modules
> in that file are loaded when booting.
>
> If not, it must be a SuSE specific module autoloading. I'm not SuSE
> user, so I don't know if there is any proper method for disabling that.

Linux 2.6 PCI layer generates hotplug events which trigger
module loading (by looking up the ids in
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/modules.pcimap).

> b) adding following lines to modprobe.conf:
> install modulename1 /bin/false
> install modulename2 /bin/false

Wouldn't this prevent manual loading with "modprobe foo", too?

Debian has /etc/hotplug/blacklist.d/ (although I'm not sure
if it still works with latest greatest udev).

Johannes