[linux-dvb] Re: backwards compatability -was- actual cvs broken?

Michael Krufky wrote:

> Philip Prindeville wrote:
>
>> Hmmm...   I personally have little use for the video functionality
>> that a lot of
>> DVB cards come with...  I use them as tuners only, and see the
>> analogue video
>> capture capability (from a PAL/NTSC IF source) as unnecessary cruft...
>> Probably because the chip already includes it, so the board
>> manufacturers said,
>> "well, for $.35 in extra popcorn logic and connectors, it's hardly
>> worth not doing."
>>
>> Who actually uses the video capture logic?
>

> *I* do... I live in Brooklyn, NY.  Not all stations that are available
> in analog are also available in digital.
>
>> I've always wondered...   On a multi-function card, does the driver
>> have to handle
>> all aspects of that functionality?  Or can you have separate,
>> stand-alone drivers that
>> each handle one type of functionality, without them having to be
>> aware of each other or interact with each other?
>

> The answer is a combination of both... Let's take cx88-dvb /
> saa7134-dvb, for example...
>
> The analog drivers work as standalone drivers.  The dvb code relies on
> the glue code in the analog drivers in order to function.  Only the
> "glue code" is aware of the dvb stuff.  With the glue code and dvb
> stuff removed, the analog driver still functions.
>
>> I.e. can tuning and video capture and video playback (for
>> full-feature cards with
>> MPEG/AVC decompression) be handled by three independent subsystems and
>> drivers?
>

> V4L and DVB are somewhat independent, but not entirely.  So, more or
> less, the answer is yes.
>
> -Michael Krufky

Given that NTSC is going dark in the US in another 14 months (no idea
if there are still any analog transmitters in Europe or not), perhaps we
should move the glue logic into DVB, and make the analog capture
functionality be the optional part?

-Philip