[linux-dvb] saving TS with zapdvb

On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 02:37:24PM +0200, Juergen Pfennig wrote:
> On Friday 21 October 2005 15:50, Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I hope this is the right forum for zapdvb questions...
>
> You could have sent me a private mail - currently no public forum
> exists for zapdvb.
>
> > I have been using this great software for a while now (especially in
> > client-server mode) and was wondering whether how it is possible to get
> > the transport stream (including all audio tracks and subtitles). This
> > would be very nice for the Arte franco/german channel which is broadcast
> > in both languages.
>
> This is a very interesting point and I will soon start woking on it. Having
> Arte in frensh/german is not the only possible extension: AC3 (Dolby
> surround) is even more interesting for most people.
>
> What you want is probably not a TS but a PES with multiple sound channels,
> which could be done easily - as soon as I have rewritten the TS to PES
> converter (the current version is based on old Metzler bros. code).
>
> Unfortunately the support for multiple audio tracks in mplayer/xine/kaffeine
> is also insufficient, so zapdvb will have to learn a couple of new tricks to
> handle this by itself (on the fly selection from multiple audio channels).

I'm almost sure mplayer, vlc and xine (at least) handle multiple audio
tracks just fine and that they can be selected on-the-fly through each
player's respective interface. Any dvd-capable software should have the
same capability. So maybe you don't need to add that complexity into
zapdvb after all.

> WHAT I DO NOT LIKE:
>
> zapdvb inherited some code from szap - including the format of the channel
> definitions. The original szap format did not allow multiple audio pids or
> even teletext. Each DVB player nowadays seems to define a private channel
> list format or to implement a private format extension. What about
> (re-)creating a common standard format?
>
> Thanks for the feedback
> Yours J?rgen
>
> By the way: could you send me a frensh translation of the gui text file (e.g
> zapdvb_gui_fr.lang)? There are many downloads from france so I would support
> the frensh translation in future.

I'd be really happy to help, but my german is terrible and that's why
I'd like to be able to watch Arte in german with french subtitles to
improve it :)

Cheers,

--
"Perl Guy and Executive Glue Sniffer"