[linux-dvb] saving TS with zapdvb

On Friday 21 October 2005 15:50, Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I hope this is the right forum for zapdvb questions...

You could have sent me a private mail - currently no public forum exists for
zapdvb.

> I have been using this great software for a while now (especially in
> client-server mode) and was wondering whether how it is possible to get
> the transport stream (including all audio tracks and subtitles). This
> would be very nice for the Arte franco/german channel which is broadcast
> in both languages.

This is a very interesting point and I will soon start woking on it. Having
Arte in frensh/german is not the only possible extension: AC3 (Dolby
surround) is even more interesting for most people.

What you want is probably not a TS but a PES with multiple sound channels,
which could be done easily - as soon as I have rewritten the TS to PES
converter (the current version is based on old Metzler bros. code).

Unfortunately the support for multiple audio tracks in mplayer/xine/kaffeine
is also insufficient, so zapdvb will have to learn a couple of new tricks to
handle this by itself (on the fly selection from multiple audio channels).

WHAT I DO NOT LIKE:

zapdvb inherited some code from szap - including the format of the channel
definitions. The original szap format did not allow multiple audio pids or
even teletext. Each DVB player nowadays seems to define a private channel
list format or to implement a private format extension. What about
(re-)creating a common standard format?

Thanks for the feedback
Yours J?rgen

By the way: could you send me a frensh translation of the gui text file (e.g
zapdvb_gui_fr.lang)? There are many downloads from france so I would support
the frensh translation in future.