[linux-dvb] Re: Fusion HDTV 5

On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 08:13:51AM -0700, Todd Ignasiak wrote:
> You might want to check a local forum, to see other users' experiences
> with your cable system.

I've done that a couple of times alread.  There is plenty of info for
OTA, but virtually none for cable.

> Most cable systems leave the local channels
> in the clear (I have heard that this is required for them, but I don't
> know if that is true).   The avsforum.com local reception forum

The locals are already available on analog.  If they're in the clear
on digital, I haven't found them.

> If you have a Windows box around, you might try the Fusion card with
> the Windows software.  They have a decent channel scanner which should
> show your QAM256 channels.

Well, I hadn't reinstalled Windows since my last disk change, so what
the hey.

A Windows scan found a handful of digital channels.  By the time the
scan finished, only one was viewable.  It looked like another
On-Demand session.  One of the detected channels consistently crashed
the Fusion application whenever I tried to view it.

One thing of note is that under Windows, the one channel I viewed had
no visible drop-outs or other errors.  Everything I've been able to
view off cable so far under Linux has had very noticeable drop-outs,
pixelization or other errors.  I'm borrowing a UHF antenna tonight so
hopefully ATSC will work much better.

David
--
David Engel